Casa Natal de Ignacio Agramonte: Definitely Camagüey's Top Museum
The Museum Birth House of Ignacio Agramonte, located in the Eastern province of Camagüey, has approximately 87 615 pieces belonging to 35 specialized collections.
The exhibition hall of Plastic Arts in the museum treasures up the second most important collection of paintings in the country, after the one in the Museum of Fine Arts in Havana. You can find some of the main pictorial exponents from the Island, from the colony to the revolutionary triumph, among whom there are Patricio Landaluze, Miguel Melero, Leopoldo Romañach, Víctor Manuel, Carlos Enríquez, Fidelio Ponce de León, Amelia Peláez, Adigio Benítez and Zaida del Río.
Besides this exhibition hall, the most important of all, the building has other four: natural history, decorative arts, a temporary hall and the living hall. The latter is located in the backyard, and apart from pieces of historical value, it displays a live collection of specimens from Cuban flora.
The institution bears the name of Ignacio Agramonte in honor of one of the main Cuban heroes from the First Independence War, who originally came from the city of Camagüey. Before, in the 19th century, it functioned as the barracks of the Regiment of the King’s Lancers from Spain, allocated to receive the cavalry from the Metropolis’ Army. By the beginning of the 20th century, the premises were transformed into a hotel, and it wasn’t until 1955 that it became the museum it now is.
Place: Ave. Los Mártires, Ciudad de Camagüey, Camagüey.
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 9:00 am- 4:00 pm, Sunday: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Text by: Claudia Edith G. Posada
Translation: Beatriz Rodríguez