Back to the Journalism's Old Days
La Correspondencia is the name of an ancient newspaper from Cienfuegos, founded in 1898 by Florencio Véliz, and considered as the journalism’s dean of this province. Located in a two-floor building, designed by Javier Reguera Acea, La Correspondencia worked from 1912, when it was finished, until 1964, when it stopped publishing.
Nowadays, this building houses the Mártires de Barbados pressroom, which works with the same machines from the XIX and XX centuries the extinct newspaper used to. There are Chander and Linotype presses, created the last one by Ottmar Mergenthaler in 1886, and no longer used in the world since the 70s. Due to these machines may be considered as rarities, their presence and the use workers of the pressroom still give them, this building has an enormous patrimonial value.
Visits to the Imprenta Mártires de Barbados are part of the Proyecto Sendas, a tour programme developed by the Oficina del Conservador de la Ciudad de Cienfuegos. Don’t miss the opportunity of watching really old press machines in well-preserved conditions, and, what it is most striking, watching how they still work after so many decades and even centuries.
By Javier Roque Martínez